MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Talk to me about spinach

Shandy

I love spinach raw in my salads.

And I love spinach pesto.

But that's all I've ever used spinach for since I hate the slimy stuff I tasted out of cans when I was younger.

But it grows so nicely and abundantly here in Oregon, and it's so full of good things for our bodies, that it seems a shame I'm not putting spinach to better use.

So for those who preserve and use spinach, can you tell me what you know?

How would I can it? And if I were to do that, how would I use it?

I was thinking adding a cup or so of spinach to a stockpot of chicken soup might be good and might pass the notice of my family. But would I be getting anything other than color from adding spinach, ie nutrients?

Tell me what you know.

I tried canning spinach and it came out GREY - a truly nasty bile shade of eeewwwww. It was mushy and yucky...like spinach from a can, only without the extreme metallic taste.

I figure fresh spinach and veggies are my treat to myself here in the NW. I ALWAYS wash it with a veggie wash and spin it dry...I've also steamed it and eaten it with a bit of butter or salt or vinegar...YUM!

Drain the water and mix it with some canned soup. You'll be increasing the nutrients.

Use drained canned spinach instead of marinara sauce on pasta. A little olive oil, some oregano and basil, and parmesian cheese, toss and eat.

Use drained canned spinach on pizza crust in lieu of tomato sauce. Sprinkle with parmesian and mozzarella cheeses, a little minced garlic, some oregano, and you've got a great new pizza taste! This also works well in calzones.

I use spinach in my meat loaf for color, flavor, texture and extra nutrition. However, I admit, I like using frozen spinach more than I do canned...but it is possible to use it canned this way also, if you drain it well first.

Mix with eggs, parmesian and romano cheeses, oregano, salt and pepper, and make baked spinach. You can put this in a pie filling also for an Italian quiche-like dish.

Toss with ricotta cheese, pepper, oregano, salt and pepper and parmesian and use a pasta sauce.

As to the canning directions... Here ya go

Title: Canning Spinach and Other Greens

Categories: Vegetables, Canning

Yield: 1 recipe

Quantity: An average of 28 pounds is needed per canner load of 7 quarts;

an average of 18 pounds is needed per canner load of 9 pints. A bushel

weighs 18 pounds and yields 3 to 9 quarts--an average of 4 pounds per

quart.

Quality: Can only freshly harvested greens. Discard any wilted,

discolored, diseased, or insect-damaged leaves. Leaves should be tender

and attractive in color.

Procedure: Wash only small amounts of greens at one time. Drain water

and continue rinsing until water is clear and free of grit. Cut out

tough stems and midribs. Place 1 pound of greens at a time in

cheesecloth bag or blancher basket and steam 3 to 5 minutes or until

well wilted. Add 1/2 teaspoon of salt to each quart jar, if desired.

Fill jars loosely with greens and add fresh boiling water, leaving

1-inch headspace.

Adjust lids and process following the recommendations in Table 1 and

Table 2.

Table 1. Recommended process time for Spinach and Other Greens in a

dial-gauge pressure canner.

Style of Pack: Hot. Jar Size: Pints, Quarts.

Process Time: 70 minutes for Pints, 90 minutes for Quarts.

Canner Pressure (PSI) at Altitudes of 0 - 2,000 ft: 11 lb.

2,001 - 4,000 ft: 12 lb.

4,001 - 6,000 ft: 13 lb.

6,001 - 8,000 ft: 14 lb.

Table 2. Recommended process time for Spinach and Other Greens in a

weighted-gauge pressure canner.

Style of Pack: Hot. Jar Size: Pints, Quarts.

Process Time: 70 minutes for Pints, 90 minutes for Quarts.

Canner Pressure (PSI) at Altitudes of 0 - 1,000 ft: 10 lb.

Above 1,000 ft: 15 lb.

===========================================================

* USDA Agriculture Information Bulletin No. 539 (rev. 1994)

* Meal-Master format courtesy of Karen Mintzias

Personally, I only use frozen spinach in the non-spinach season..I hate it canned. LOL I like to freeze it. I blanch it two minutes, then put it in ice water, then I drain it and freeze it either chopped or in whole leaves. I would only can it if I were in a SHTF situation and didn't have a working freezer. Really, I hate it canned, LOL But mixed up with other stuff, it's not so bad. But it no longer looks bright green when it is canned and that kind of tweaks me a tad!

OK. So freezing it is. And I can use it in those suggestions you had obviously, since that's the way you like to use it.

Freezing is easier than canning, and I think we would have the room in the freezer for what we would use for a winter. I'll plan on more spinach next year, then. That last recipe is making my mouth water, and I think I'm going to use part of this basket of spinach I have sitting here for that. Mmmm!

Archived