MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

is this pickled jalapeno recipe safe?

pricklypear

Hi. I often do a refrigerator version of pickled peppers but this year want to make some for my shelves...this recipe looks a lot like my refrigerator one...i like it in that the vinegar is more diluted than the other canning recipes i found for them...as far as I know, i should omit the garlic since the recipe has olive oil in it..but other than that, does it look safe?

thanks so much for your attention! pricklypear

Pickled jalapenos are very popular in Mexico as well in the United States. This recipe includes carrots and onion and uses garlic, peppercorns for the seasonings. Recipe from Too Many Chiles!, a great little book about what to do with an abundant chile pepper harvest.

fresh green jalapeno pepper

Yield: 4 pints

I N G R E D I E N T S

1 pound jalapenos, whole

1/4 cup olive oil

1 medium onion, thinly sliced

2 small carrots, thinly sliced

4 cloves garlic

12 black peppercorns

1/4 cup pickling salt

3 cups white vinegar

3 cups water

I N S T R U C T I O N S

In a pan, sauté the chiles in the oil until the skin starts to blister. Add the onion and the carrots and heat for an additional minute.

Pack the chile mixture into sterilized pint jars leaving 1/2 " head space.

Add a clove of garlic, 3 peppercorns, and 1 teaspoon salt to each of the jars.

In a pan, combine the vinegar and water and bring to a boil. Pour over the chiles>

Seal and process the jars in a boiling water bath for 15 minutes. Store for 4 weeks in a cool, dark place before serving.

This week I got an email from someone wanting to know what was wrong with the lids on their pickled peppers. It was this recipe they used,that you posted. They were spoiled and spewing out of the jars. If you look at the safe recipes from USDA they will have much more acid to preserve the peppers. You can find them here:

http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/how/veg_pick.html

Not all vegetables are safe to can in a half and half brine. The ph of each vegetable, the density of it, along with what is added to it will make a difference.

I am not going to post the entire recipes, but these are from USDA. You will see no oil in them. I will also post about marinated peppers, which do have oil.

Pickled Jalapeño Rings

3 pounds jalapeño peppers

1½ cups pickling lime

1½ gallons water

7½ cups cider vinegar (5%)

1¾ cups water

2½ tablespoons canning salt

3 tablespoons celery seed

6 tablespoons mustard seed

Second recipe:

Pickled Hot Peppers

Hungarian, Banana, Chile, Jalapeno

4 lbs hot long red, green, or yellow peppers

3 lbs sweet red and green peppers, mixed

5 cups vinegar (5%)

1 cup water

4 tsp canning or pickling salt

2 tbsp sugar

2 cloves garlic

Now, the marinated recipe from USDA does have oil, but it is HIGHLY acidified with bottled lemon juice and vinegar. Bottled lemon juice is 2 times as acidic as vinegar. It must be bottled,not fresh lemon juice, also. Not all vegetables can be marinated safely, either. Just a few that I am aware of.

Marinated Peppers

Bell, Hungarian, Banana, or Jalapeno

4 lbs firm peppers*

1 cup bottled lemon juice

2 cups white vinegar (5 percent)

1 tbsp oregano leaves

1 cup olive or salad oil

1/2 cup chopped onions

2 cloves garlic, quartered (optional)

2 tbsp prepared horseradish (optional)

Archived