MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Starbucks Mocha substitute

Okay, I love starbucks mochas, but it's one of the things I've cut back on since prices started exploding. I love the starbucks mocha powder (they add water to it to make their mocha syrup), but it's like $7 for an 8 ounce canister.

So I checked the ingredients: cocoa powder, sugar, vanillin.

Into a 1/2 pint jar, I just started layering (very high quality) cocoa powder and sugar. I shook it up and it looks exactly like the stuff in the expensive tins at Starbucks.

I add a spoon of the powder to my hot coffee, then a bit of (low-fat) half-and-half, and it's really a good substitute for me. If I wanted to spend more time, I could heat some milk and try to more closely replicate it, but really, all I'm after is the coffee/chocolate combo. :-D

Another tip--- I don't care for flavored coffees of any kind (not even mochas), but I do like an occasional latte or cappuccino. I would buy one maybe twice a year from Starbucks or some other coffee shop. I find I'm satisfied by simply frothing some milk in a hand-pump frother and adding it to regular coffee. Since I also like cream in my coffee, but hate dried creamers, I thought it would be an enjoyable way to have my coffee if all that was available was dried milk. I'd just froth some of the milk for a richer cup of coffee.

Archived