MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Pros or cons to turning hot jars upside down after processing?

MommaDogs

In speaking to my grandmother recently, she told me that she and grandpa always turned the hot jars out of the water bath canner and turned them on their lids to cool. I dismissed it as old methods or something they heard somewhere. Is there anything to it?

They are thinner and a different type of compound. If you mess with the seal after taking out of the canner it interferes with the vacuum sealing process. You don't want to touch the lids until they seal on their own. That puts pressure on them at a time you don't want pressure to interfere with the sealing.

They are now made of plastisol, not rubber. Plus, food can leak between the lid and the jar since they aren't sealed yet. That is a main reason for them not sealing.

The old inversion method for jams or pickles isn't recommended anymore. That is the same as "open kettle" and nothing is being done in that manner to kill any bacteria or to create a true

vacuum seal.

People used to think it would kill bacteria since hot food would touch the lids. We now know it takes either boiling water or pressure to kill bacteria, depending upon the kind of food being processed and kinds of bacteria that needs to be destroyed.

I am soooo tired, and my kitchen is a disaster area. I try to stay on top of it but it just seems that it takes so many pots - keeping lids hot, keeping syrups hot, jars hot, my stove is a disaster and my counters can't be used due to all the jars all over them. LOL. It will feel good once it's done.

Archived