MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Water bath newbie questions

carr

Okay y'all, I'm finally attempting to can. I'm trying Darlene's apple butter instructions because it's easy, economical and my (grown) girls love apple butter.

But I do have a few questions, now that I've started the process and put the food on the line ... lol.

My mother used to make apple butter, and my consistency after cooking overnight does not seem right. Hers certainly seemed thicker. Will that come over time? How long after processing should I wait to open a jar for eating?

The instructions that came with the jars said after processing to remove pot from burner and let cool. Does that mean I leave the jars in the water and wait to start the second batch, or can I pull the jars and put in the second batch immediately?

Those same instructions said to wash jars and lids and dry completely before using. It also said to keep in hot water before filling. Do I take them from the hot water and dry inside or can I just dump the water from jar? Wow, that really sounds like a dumb question now that I've typed it out, but I'm from the no-such-thing-as-a-dumb-question school, so I'm going to risk looking the beginner I am and ask it.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

I've really always wanted to do this and am excited to finally be getting started!!!

Oh yeah, if I water bath for 15 minutes, do I begin timing after the water has come to a boil?

WOW good for you!

OK here we go:

Yes wash all jars and lids before using them (even if new).

if water bath then put jars upright in a pan of hot water (2-3 inches) and fill them while in there with what you are canning.

put lids into hot water (we use a small pot on stove), clean rim of jar, put on lid and then ring. Screw the ring on hand tight and then put in boiling water (the canner). When it returns to a boil THEN you start counting you time. When the time is up remove the jars from the water and put on a towel or rack to cool down. Try to leave them until cooled all the way (we leave overnight. When they are cooled down (24+ hours) you can remove the rings if you want.

NOW THE HARD PART : You have to wait a bit before you can open the jar and enjoy all that great food you canned!

You cook apple butter until it mounds up on a plate, you check to see how much water comes from it as it sits. If it needs to be thicker you cook it before processing. This is how to test:

To test for doneness, remove a spoonful and hold it away from steam for 2 minutes. It is done if the butter remains mounded on the spoon. Another way to determine when the butter is cooked adequately is to spoon a small quantity onto a plate. When a rim of liquid does not separate around the edge of the butter, it is ready for canning.

You don't have to dry the jars, just keep them hot enough so they don't break as you fill them and put in the canner.

They don't need to be boiled if you process for 10 min. or longer. The processing will sterilize them.

You remove the lid from the canner, let the jars sit another 5 min. in the BWB and then remove. If you need to process another batch, remove some of the hot water, add cold water. Cool it down to 140 degrees before the next batch of food if it is a raw pack food, 180 if a hot pack food, like in the applebutter. The water should be 180 degrees when you add the jars so they don't break for the applebutter.

Yes, the processing time starts in a boiling water bath when it comes up to a boil.

You can open and eat it anytime now. The flavor has already melded during the cooking. Only things like fresh pack pickles need to sit for any length of time.

You should always remove the rings after 24 hours. Wash the jars and rings in soapy water. Otherwise they can rust and if food is under the rings it will mold. Store the jars without the rings. It is only meant to hold the lid in place during processing.

thank you

Archived