MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Meat Canning Questions

ChristyK

Hi guys! wave

I'm not new to canning canning but I am to the delights of pressure canning; I'm looking forward to purchasing and getting to use a pressure banner in the near future!! Kind of scary (pk, kinda terrifying, actually ~ I'm a wimp! blush ) but exciting none the less and I can hardly wait to begin!!

But I am having a REALLY hard time with the whole canning meat thing, though. My grandmother spent years telling me that it was never a good idea to can meat and repeating all sorts of horror stories about it. I realize that the equipment has changed drastically and that it's accepted to be a safe practice now. I just wonder about a few things.

How long is canned meat good for? Do different kinds of meat have different shelf lives?

If it should spoil, are there any obvious signs? Funny smell, weird colour?? yuk Or is it like tomatos, you can't tell it harbors danger until you turn sick

And if it can go bad without any danger signs, will heating it thoroughly kill off any bacteria/toxins?

: Christy

Christy,

In times past, many people tried to can meat in a water bath canner. I know of people who canned hamburger in tomato sauce that way, thinking it would be safe!! (shudder)

Here is a link to canning resources:

http://fnic.nal.usda.gov/nal_display/ind...ement_default=0

Here is a link to canning meat: http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/how/can5_meat.html

I can meat and use it within a year, but it does have a longer shelf life I believe. I just don't press my luck.

If you cook the food at sufficient temperature for a long enough time, yes the toxins are killed. Pathogens in food are killed by cooking. Just as you would not eat raw meat because of E Coli or Campylobacter Jejuni or salmonella, you can be perfectly safe using home canned meats because the high temperature and long processing times in a pressure canner kill the pathogens. To be on the absolute safe side, you can bring foods to a boil that you home can and simmer them at least 15 minutes. However, if you do the canning carefully and correctly, there is no need for this. I canned a lot of turkey and during the summer I often opened jars, drained it,and made turkey salads..no cooking. It was delicious and just fine. But, if you were worried, you could cook it or use it in soups, stews or pies.

Home canned soups are great--and safe because you usually are heating them up anyway and it's not a big deal to simmer them for ten or 15 minutes.

I have been canning for 30 years, some of that time using methods now considered unsafe. (No, I never water bathed meat...I am talking about having used rice in my soups or flour in my pie fillings) (We learn as we go--and I found that I had to get up to speed again around 1993 when the USDA began testing canning methods and publishing results--and then learned a lot more from Violet, our resident USDA method canning expert.)

Don't be afraid to can meat. Just do it correctly, follow directions that are USDA approved, and if you have questions ask people like Violet or people here who use the safe methods.

If you have a home recipe, ask Violet or the USDA about its safety. Otherwise, stick to published recipes that have been tested.

If the seal on your meat is compromised and you suspect botulism, then you need to follow approved methods to dispose of it. (Look them up)

Spoiled food in jars usually is obvious, but not always. If you suspect spoilage, don't use it. But if the food looks and smells fine, and you are still worried, cook it first before tasting it. Botulism is so potent one little sip could kill you. If you are worried, don't take the chance...cook your stuff. In the Ball Blue Book, there are charts and explanations about food spoilage.

I don't worry about things like apple pie filling, soups, sauces, or meats because I usually am cooking them anyway. I use canned turkey and beef for pies and soups, apple pies get baked, etc.

Pressure canning is a safe method--as long as you do it right.

Archived