MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Ezekiel Stew

We've made a couple batches of Ezekiel bread, but anymore we are just too busy to make it. So I had a bunch of bags of the Ezekiel bread grain mixture in the basement. I was nosing around on the Breadbecker's site and found their recipe for Ezekiel Stew. We added a bag of mixed vegetables and a bag of corn.

We made it yesterday and it was really good. The batch makes enough for 3 meals and for me to take for lunch a couple times. One thing that I'd change is I'd up the water content. It made really thick stew. I would probably also make it with homemade stock, also.

This makes a great storage meal. I'll have to get some dehydrated onions and potatoes. One thing I have to remember is it is extremely filling. I was stuffed after eating the amount that I would eat if we were having beef stew.

Ezekiel Stew

* 1 recipe of the Ezekiel Bread grains (shown below)

* 5 quarts water

* 2-3 potatoes

* 1 large onion

* 1 Tbs. salt

* 2-4 Tbs. bouillon (chicken or beef)

* pepper to taste

* 3-4 cloves garlic

* 2-3 Tbs. cumin

Bring to a boil. Simmer over low heat 8-10 hours. You may use a pressure cooker and cook for only 3-4 hours. Be creative and use any and all seasonings and vegetables your family enjoys, such as carrots, tomatoes, chili powder, basil etc.

Ezekiel Bread grain mix

* 2-1/2 cups hard red wheat

* 1-1/2 cups spelt or rye (Biblically spelt was used, Ezekiel 4:9)

* 1/2 cup barley (hulled barley)

* 1/4 cup millet

* 1/4 cup lentils (green preferred)

* 2 Tbs. great northern beans

* 2 Tbs. red kidney beans

* 2 Tbs. pinto beans

Wow! Thanks. I just spotted this thread. What an awesome storage recipe and you are right, dehydrated potatoes and onions would work great. Hmmm. I think I'll have to up the cumin and add a couple of splashes of tobasco. Great find, thank you!

• 10 months later...

Archived