MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

febrile seizures

michelle

I've been looking more at flu preps lately and trying to get all my info and stocks in order for it. I've noticed some mention of febrile seizures and all in the flu info though. Just wondering what anyone knows about this. If a child has had a febrile seizure before are they more likely to get them again later? What are the complications of this? Complications of this with pandemic flu? Anything else I need to know?

Febrile seizures rarely occur in children over the age of five. However, having had febrile seizures in the past DOES mean that the child is more likely to have them in the future. The key to managing ANY type of seizure is to keep the person safe during the seizure and to realize that there isn't anything else you can do. If they stop breathing, administer rescue breathing as soon as you are able to (which may not be until the seizure is over).

To prevent febrile seizures, manage fevers. Give tylenol/acetominophin according to package directions every 4-6 hours. Also give ibuprofen according to package directions every 6 hours. I like to alternate them: Tylenol at 9am, Ibuprofen at noon, Tylenol at 3pm, Ibuprofen at 6pm, and so on.

Hi Michelle,

Good question! Two of my children had febrile seizures. A Febrile seizure is due to a rapid increase in temperature. My youngest daughter Angie had one when she was three years old. She was fine one minute, then 15 minutes later she had a fever of 104 and had a seizure that lasted maybe about a minute - but it felt like over an hour.

My son also had one, he was six years old. His temperature spiked to 103 in about 20 minutes. His seizure lasted close to three minutes.

If a child has a febrile seizure they have a higher chance of having more seizure. Both my children had a seizure disorder after their seizure, but I really tend to believe because of their disability they were more prone to them. I had a good friend who's daughter had a febrile seizure, her daughter does not have a disability, and she only has seizures when she gets a high temperature.

As HSmom said, there isn't much you can do during the seizure except make sure they don't injure themselves if they are convulsing. The guidelines say if a child is having a seizure for more than 5 minutes call 911. I have more seizure experience than i care to remember, even a three minute seizure can seem like a long one, so it's whatever you are comfortable with, if you are worried after three minutes, call 911 it's always better to error on the side of caution.

I hope this answered your question. If you are concerned about this, just keep a good eye on your kids if you think they may be getting sick. And, as HSmom said, alternate between Motrin and Tylenol.

Thanks for the responses. My ds had a febrile seizure with an illness at 6 mos old. His fever got up to 105.5 with that illness. It was terrifying and never was explained to me what the illness was. He had the same illness at 2 mos old but didn't have a seizure then. I've read on the febrile seizures and do alternate the motrin and tylenol when they have fevers. I was just wondering if there are any known complications from these seizures, especially with the thought of a pandemic flu. So far ds has never had another seizure but he also hasn't been sick or had a high fever since then either, thank God.

Originally Posted By: michelle
I was just wondering if there are any known complications from these seizures, especially with the thought of a pandemic flu.

No, there don't seem to be any complications from febrile seizures. Here is a link: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/febrile-s...N=complications

The body really does a good job with temperature regulation - even though it may not appear to be that way when your child is flaming hot to the touch.
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived