MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

threw away my first food

DenimDaze

I've been stroring staples in apple juice jars. I have a 2yo who goes through about 2 a week. They are 3 quart size, nice and sturdy with a screw top and hand holds on the side. I love them!

I have corn meal, beans, rice, oatmeal and salt stored in them.

Well, one of the bottles wasn't quite dry when I poured the grits into it and I've just had to throw out 3 quarts of moldy grits. cry

I am financially still way ahead, buying commercially made containers for all this food would have cost much more then it will to replace the grits, but the fruagal part of me is in mourning. I wasted food. sofa

DenimDaze,

Sorry for your loss, thankfully it a small amount! I recently lost a bag of dried oranges, not sure what made then mold. We do live & learn, don’t we?

I recycle my Jars, Boxes, Pop-corn & cookie Tins, coffee cans, I figure I saved quite the sum this way. Old Jelly Jars hold Dough Enhancer, Spaghetti Sauce jars hold my home-made powered soups, Coffee cans hold, cream of wheat, rice, steel cut oats, large jars hold beans, etc. The pop corn bins hold grains, flours, mixed. Boxes I get at Aldies, which have handles in them, I use like a drawer on a shelve and throw all sorts of the odds & ends in there!

I save my Hydrogen Peroxide bottles, and “sip caps” from bottled water/juices, to hold Lamp fuel, alcohol for the “rocket stove”, etc. Im going to try an make a rocket stove from a tuna fish can, ( lid removed with a can opener that cut on the side, & seal that back with TIN/Aluminum tape), the can walls are more substantial that the soda cans, and inverted, should work the same way.

Again, sorry for your loss!

Archived