MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

spring onion

Mel

Hi all

:pray: Please can someone give me light on this. I bought spring onions from the store and planted what I didn't use in pots. It has now grown so much that I can't keep up :cele: . We live in a rental property with no ground to plant things :angry: , so I have very little space. Is there a way to preserve spring onions?

thank you

Mel

Anyone interested in dehydrating foods should get a book entitled "Mary Bell's Complete Dehydrator Cookbook". It is the recognized 'bible' for that.

To dehydrate any type of onion, just slice and dry in the dehydrator.

For your small onions, however, I would consider blanching and freezing them whole, if you have the space.

Hi all

:pray: Please can someone give me light on this. I bought spring onions from the store and planted what I didn't use in pots. It has now grown so much that I can't keep up :cele: . We live in a rental property with no ground to plant things :angry: , so I have very little space. Is there a way to preserve spring onions?

thank you

Mel

Mel,

Lucky you! For some reason all my onions died last year.

You can pick them, braid them, and hang them....cutting off what you need as you go.

If they're the smaller pearl onion size, I don't know if you should can them....let's do some checking there. At the very least, cut & clean the pearl-sized ones and freeze them. If I were you, I'd seal them in Foodsaver bags because I ONCE chopped 30# of onions and WHEW! did my freezer smell!

To dehydrate onions, clean, dice, and spread on your dehydrator sheets. They dry really fast. You shouldn't have to pre-treat them at all. I don't. Just use a low temp so you don't 'burn' them with the hot air.

Have fun!

The canning recipes ARE for the small pearl onions, only. The small onions are also referred to as canning onions. Regular big onions do not hold up that well when canned, though they can be used with other vegetables when sliced and chopped.

Thank you :hug3: for all the advice, so my first step is to get a dehydrator. Baby steps, baby steps. I must learn really fast. I have looked into out door drying, but I know I am going to get that wrong. LOL :24:

From Mel

Mel, if you dry any type of onion in a dehydrator I suggest you fo it outside on a porch or deck if possible. Believe me, your whole hosue will smell like onions. Ask me how I know. :whistling:

:wormie2:

John

I do onions all the time in the house, which may be also why I have no critters. The aroma can drive anything live outside. You can get a small reprieve however by doing celery at the same time.

I tried doing it outside, but my neighbors are only 15-20 feet away and they got a snoot full so I decided that was not neighborly. It went back inside.

Archived