MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

extending the life of store bought dried fruit?

LaBellaVita

Hi everyone,

I bought a mega bag of craisins and it got me thinking... I have been wanting to buy a bunch of dried fruit and would love to store it, but I would love to know if I take it out of the bag and vacuum seal it or put it in canning jars and I'm guessing vacuum seal it, will that extend the expiration date? Or no real difference?

Thanks! ^_^

somewhere on my many travels to web sites about food storage I remember reading that it is dangerous to vacuum seal or use o2 absorbers in food with a moisture content above a certian %. For the life of me I can't remember the % (I think it's around 12-15%) or the web site. The moisture of the food and the lack of o2 is the perfect enviornment for botulasim (SP?) to grow and thrive. I think it may have been on Walton's Feed website in the section on food presveration.

That might well be true for some foods, but I believe dried fruits are well below that moisture threshold and acidic foods are not a normal breeding ground for C. Botulinum in a vacuum. It would be interesting though if you could find that information.

That might well be true for some foods, but I believe dried fruits are well below that moisture threshold and acidic foods are not a normal breeding ground for C. Botulinum in a vacuum. It would be interesting though if you could find that information.

I'll try to dig it up in the next couple of days. :)

I found at least one sorce that you can check. It is on the LDS website and also on the provident living website in the food storage part about mylar bags. The moisture content has to be at 10% or below and the food should not have a high content of oil. I did a google of C Botulinum and O2 absorbers and quite a few came up with the same info.

That would be correct. Oil and low-acid foods is a growing factory for Botulism at room temperature. I'm constantly warning people about storing dried tomatoes or garlic in oil. One of the dehydrated foods that is a potential problem is "Jerky", if it has too much oil left in it and is not dried properly.

But the topic here is CRaisins and that does not fit into this concern category.

Archived