MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Roastzilla

I have a 12 lb. shoulder roast that is too big for my largest crock pot. How long to you think one should cook a 12 lb roast? I want to cook it slow so it will be tender. Say about 300 degrees. Is it safe to cook in the regular oven all night long? What would be some good seasonings. I'm growing tired of the basic salt, pepper, garlic, etc.

How timely. I'm sitting here at my computer just thinking I have to get the six kilo pork shoulder in the over if we want to eat before midnight.

Mine gets poked with garlic (about two heads' worth), then rubbed with salt and pepper and liquid smoke, poured over with olive oil, and baked for at least eight hours at the lowest temperature I can convince my oven to go....110° centigrade, which is 230° farenheit.

Last time the skin served as too much insulation for one side, so I have to decide if I'm gonna take off the skin or maybe just slice it deeply in a pretty pattern.

This way of cooking works so well for leg of lamb, too( with rosemary, six hours roasting). And either way, I roast a few whole, unpeeled, oiled heads of garlic along with the meat, and we squish out the paste onto the meal...or simply onto bread.

Just be sure to baste it often.

Awwww, c'mon Susie, don't you think you could get all of that wonderful flavor and taste while following some basic safety measures? When it comes to meat, and especially pork, I don't want to invite trouble.

The thought of unaddressed larvae in a hunk of meat is enough for me to NOT throw caution to the wind. :yuk:

Archived