MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Southern Style Hash Brown Potatoes

YYY

Hi Everybody,

I started working again last August (yeah !!!) and with everything else I have to do, my time is always very limited. I still can when possible, but I’m trying to find ways to cut down on prep time. For example, I know it’s cheaper to chop up carrots, but I buy store bought chopped carrots to save time. My question is, have any of you used frozen “southern style” hash brown potatoes in you canned beef stew? (They are frozen small cubed potatoes.) I’m wondering if canning with these are OK. Anyone know ???

Thanks,

YYY

Hi Everybody,

I started working again last August (yeah !!!) and with everything else I have to do, my time is always very limited. I still can when possible, but I'm trying to find ways to cut down on prep time. For example, I know it's cheaper to chop up carrots, but I buy store bought chopped carrots to save time. My question is, have any of you used frozen "southern style" hash brown potatoes in you canned beef stew? (They are frozen small cubed potatoes.) I'm wondering if canning with these are OK. Anyone know ???

Thanks,

YYY

If they are cooked in oil, then, no. I would think they would just be total mush, anyway. I would not suggest you use them. You want to maintain the right density when canning, not just ph level. I feel they are too soft to be used.

You are better off buying frozen stew vegetables. They do have them already prepped and frozen. If you don't want to peel potatoes, then there are already canned ones, too. They are more firm since they have been treated with calcium chloride.

Still, fresh is your best bet.

Yes, the "Southern Style" hash browns would turn to mush in the liquid of a stew. I agree that you should use the frozen stew vegetables if you don't want to spend the time preparing the veggies yourself.

Archived