MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

What Do Can Codes Mean?

CoM

I'm not sure of where to post this since this refers to commercially canned food.

Here is a general guide for shelflife of commercially canned food. Easy to remember. It really doesn't matter if you can decifer the code or not using this guide as long as food is stored properly in a cool, clean, dry, dark location. I date everything I store with a magic marker.

What Do Can Codes Mean?

Cans must exhibit a packing code to enable tracking of the product in interstate commerce. This enables manufacturers to rotate their stock as well as to locate their products in the event of a recall.

These codes, which appear as a series of letters and/or numbers, might refer to the date or time of manufacture. They aren’t meant for the consumer to interpret as “use-by” dates. There is no book which tells how to translate the codes into dates.

Cans may also display “open” or calendar dates. Usually these are “best if used by” dates for peak quality.

In general, high-acid canned foods such as tomatoes, grapefruit and pineapple can be stored on the shelf 12 to 18 months; low-acid canned foods such as meat, poultry, fish and most vegetables will keep 2 to 5 years — if the can remains in good

condition and has been stored in a cool, clean, dry place.

http://www.fsis.usda.gov/PDF/Food_Product_Dating.pdf

I have noticed some really long use-by dates on canned vegetables in the store. The only problem with not having that or the manufacturing date is that you don't know how long it sat in a warehouse or on the store shelves. Personally, I would prefer the manufacturing date to be required, but I imagine they don't want average people(who think everything on the store shelf is fresh) to know how old the stuff really is.

For canned goods its not really an important issue since they last for years, but I use the 'dust' dating code. If there is dust on the top of the can I will bypass it and probably ask the store manager about their stocking procedures.

Archived