MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Dried Fruit and Lima Stew

nmchick

Hi,

I found this one in How to Cook Everything Vegetarian by Mark Bittman. We've been looking for more things we can cook from storage and this one qualifies except for the ginger. My guess is that crystalized ginger would work.

We did this one without the sugar. It was quite tasty, but be forewarned! It is a high fiber dish!

I bet this could be canned under the "soup" rules if the liquid were increased and the fat decreased. If I were going to add more liquid, it'd be tomato juice.

Dried Fruit and Lima Stew

8 ounces dried lima beans or 1 pound fresh or frozen

2 tablespoons butter or neutral oil, like grapeseed or corn

2 large onions, sliced

1 tablespoon peeled and minced fresh ginger

1 tablespoon minced garlic

1 cup port, not-too-dry red wine, or water

1 cup chopped tomato (cared are fine; don't bother to drain)

12 dried plums (prunes)

12 dried apricots

salt and freshly ground black pepper

1 tablespoon sugar

1/2 teaspoon cayenne or to taste

1/2 cup cream (optional)

(1) If you're using dried limas, cook them.

(2) Using a dutch oven or something of similar size, cook the onions in butter or oil until very soft over medium heat. Add the ginger and garlic and cook for 30 seconds. Add the port, raise the heat a bit, and cook for a minute until some of the liquid bubbles away. Add the tomato, dried fruit, salt, pepper, sugar, cayenne, and drained limas.

(3) Bring to a boil, lower the heat, cover, and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the fruit is temder, the tomao saucy, and all the flavors combined. Raise the heat and boil off any excess liquid. Stir in the cream if you're using it. Cook for another 30 seconds and serve.

Archived