MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

On-Demand Refried Bean Recipe!

LOL The requests for the refried bean recipe I use caught me by surprise! Y'all are so funny! :D It is delish...I hope y'all enjoy it!

Yummy No-Lard Refried Beans -- From the PRESSURE COOKER! (hooray for pressure cookers)

In an at least 5-liter pressure cooker, place:

2 cups pinto beans (you can also use black or other type beans, but pintos are traditional), washed and sorted

2 tablespoons Spice Hunter Mexican seasoning -- http://www.spicehunter.com/products.asp?id=2&page=2

(this is the only seasoning I will use in my beans. It costs a lot, but is SO worth it...a superb and very authentic spice blend!)

1 teaspoon cumin

2 fresh garlic cloves, crushed

6 cups water

6 teaspoons beef or chicken boullion or base

2 teaspoons finely chopped crystallized ginger (keeps the toots away! Don't worry...you can't taste it at all.)

Soak beans in water for 3-4 hours or overnight. Bring all of the ingredients to a boil. Put on the pressure lid and bring up to the second red ring (15 pounds pressure). Maintain pressure for 12-15 minutes, or until beans are tender (I usually go for fifteen, I like nice tender beans). Let pressure drop on its own.

Drain the cooked beans, but RESERVE the liquid! In a large, heavy skillet, heat 3-4 tablespoons of canola or grapeseed oil; add cooked beans. Smash the beans while frying, and add enough of the reserved liquid to bring them to the desired consistency. Add shredded cheese, if desired (I do!!!!). Season with salt or Herbamare.

Alternatively, if you have a Bosch, you can fry the beans and dump them in the Bosch with the cookie paddle attachment. Smash them on speed 1 with the paddles and add enough reserved liquid to bring to desired consistency, then add cheese and salt or Herbamare.

ENJOY!!! :D

Archived