MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Need Recipe: Stir Crazy Sesame Chicken

I am looking for a recipe from one of my favorite restaurants.

Stir Crazy has an amazing breaded sesame chicken stir fry with a sweet mango sauce. I really want to try making it at home but I have no idea where to start. I've searched the internet and can't find anything similar, has anyone heard of a recipe like this? I could play around with one until I get it right but I've never made stir fry so I don't even have a starting spot.

This isn't even your "typical" stir fry. Instead of cooking the veggies with the meat they are cooked with the rice, on the side. Only the breaded chicken in a sauce with sesame seed is cooked together. I don't know what I should bread a sesame chicken in or how to make a mango sauce.

I take any ideas you have and test them.

Thanks!

Joanna, I've never been to that restaurant, but this sounds like a fun challenge! :) And it sounds delicious...

I know most breaded meats in Chinese fare are usually breaded with a cornstarch batter...nice and light. That would be pretty easy to reproduce. The mango sauce, though...that sounds SO good...I wonder if your base could be mango nectar (you can usually find it in the Mexican food section of your grocery), maybe thinned down a touch with broth, add the seasonings you suspect are in there, and thickened to a glaze with cornstarch and water or ultra/clear jel? Hmmmm....

I may try to make this sometime this week and I'll let you know if I get a successful result and post the recipe if I do! :)

I would try a tempura batter for the meat, here is one:

http://japanesefood.about.com/od/tempura/r/tempurabatter.htm

Mango sauce:

http://recipes.epicurean.com/recipe/1367/b...ango-sauce.html

I don't eat out much at all and have never been to that restaurant but maybe you can adjust the seasonings to suit yourself.

You can also make mango sauce with mango jam if you can find some. I'd warm the jam and add a little mustard and some cornstarch and water, then adjust the seasoning.

Archived