MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

onion tops are flopped over!

we had another big storm come though and this time the heavy rain and winds knocked over the tops on my onion patch (#$*!&$*#) !

Now in years past when it was time to harvest them we used to topple over the tops- wait a few days- and then pull them up. This was to stop the growth and get them ready for storage.

So - are they able to come back from this? or do I have to pull what I can to save the harvest?

3 of the Amish Farms that do Farmers Market had to pull all their onion because of all the rain in the last 3 weeks-some of them were starting to rot at the tops.

anybody find this happen to their crop? and help or advice?

:AmishMichaelstraw:

It seems to me that it would be time for those tops to fall over, at least it would be here in Virginia.

If they've fallen, I don't think they will be able to grow anymore. If you're expecting things to stay wet a while, you may want to lift them and put them somewhere dry and well-ventilated to dry out and harden.

Ive had problems in the past with rot and onion root maggots. I don't know which came first, the rot and then the maggot, or the other way around. I know the fly that lays the eggs that turn into the maggots are attracted to rotting onions, but I also know that the maggots cause rot as they tunnel into the onions.

Just do what you can to keep them dry. My onion crop was a big failure this year, so I'll be depending on store bought. I hope yours turns out well.

we had another big storm come though and this time the heavy rain and winds knocked over the tops on my onion patch (#$*!&$*#) !

Probably not quite the same situation...When i was finally able to get into the garden and weed the onions...i finished and looked over my work, and was dismayed, cuz it looked as tho a hefalump had trompled thru. I figured we would need to pull them...but now...two weeks later, they are putting out more tops. I'm hoping this will make a larger onion. M.

Archived