MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

My first seal failure

Tammy

I had my first seal failure on one of my pints of green/wax beans and I'm really sad.

I'm not sure what to do with it...... on another post somewhere someone did green beans and did them wrong and was told to throw them out with the jars.

Am I supposed to do that with this one too? They sat on the counter all night and when I got up this morning I checked and one was not sealed.

What should I do? Throw the beans away? Can I keep the jar and resterilize it?

Help.

:(

Tammy,

The discussion on the other thread dealt with someone doing green beans in a boiling water bath, not a pressure canner.

So, if you did these within the past 24 hrs. you have some choices. Either reprocess, from start to finish, new lid, clean jar, boil the contents, etc.

That, or you put in the fridge and eat within a day or 2. Or, the last choice, remove some for expansion and freeze the jar of beans.

After the 24 hours we can't insure all bacteria will be destroyed, even with reprocessing.

Whooohoooo.... it's not an utter failure then.... :)

I probably will just throw them in a ziplock and toss em in the freezer..... glad I don't have to throw the jar.... them things are expensive! LOL

Thanks Violet!!

Yeah, I just found 1 jar of blackberry jam from my 4/13 batch that had been in the fridge, but when I opened it today, I noticed the seal was not very 'sealed'. I looked at the top and found a pea-sized patch of mold. Hated to pitch it, but better safe than sorry.

Archived