MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Salt-Rising Bread question

I am making the starter for salt rising bread this eve and wonder if when I make the sponge tomorrow morning, I should add a little gluten for rising purposes. When I have made this bread in the past it doesn't rise real well--in FL. Now I am at 6000 ft. and think gluten might help but wonder if the addition will change the taste. Not even sure it will help with rising since this bread doesn't use yeast. Any help will be appreciated!

Well in case anyone may be interested, I can now answer my own questions. The gluten did help with rising and the consistency of the (grain, crumb, bread). It did not change the taste or smell of the bread--turned out great! Still it is a bit of a pain and takes a day and a half to make. Still if I didn't have yeast...and did have time.

Google has videos and recipes. I learned that the name comes from when they used to nest the starter in heated rock salt to keep the temp. consistent for a longer period of time. Also learned it originated in the Appalachian Mtn. area before yeast was available which explains my memories of my grandma making it in VA. when I was little.

Archived