MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Love My Pump-N-Seal

I've had a Pump-N-Seal for a long time now, and mostly use it for storing staples, both for short-term and long-term, in glass canning jars---things like rice and dried beans, but also other stuff like miniature chocolate candy bars and mixed nuts. i've been very happy with it.

The other night I made tortilla pie for dinner and, being thrifty, only used 1/2 of the avocado and saved the other half for leftovers. I don't like to serve the same thing two days in a row, so I saved the leftovers for two days later. Two days later the avocado was just as green (no brown) and fresh as the first day. That's because I put the remaining 1/2 avocado in a quart canning jar and sealed it with my Pump-N-Seal. Just a little thing, I know, but so nice.

I've noticed that a few people have looked at this post but not commented, and it occurred to me that, since I don't post that often, I should qualify my statements about the Pump-N-Seal by stating that I have nothing to do with the producing, distributing, or selling of these.

It just hit me the other day how useful this has been and how pleased I've been with the results. I know many of you have Foodsavers, which would be nice since I could also put things in bags instead of jars. However, the things I like about the Pump-N-Seal are that I don't have to leave it out on the counter, it stores easily in a drawer and can be pulled out, used, and put back quickly, it costs very little, and, despite the drawback of not being able to use bags, it does save me the money spent on bags. Oh, and, of course, it operates without electricity.

For some reason having that avocado stay so bright green and fresh made me happy. But, again, I just wanted to assure you I was only commenting on my experience with the Pump-N-Seal, not trying to promote them in any way.

Your're right about the Pump-n-Seal fitting in the drawer since that is where it has a permanent home of non-use. You may be excited about using it, but its not for me and I especially don't like the canning lids rusting and possibly contaminating the contents because of the hole punched in them.

The FoodSaver remains the most practical and versatile unit IMHO, along with the Reynolds Handi-Vac and even the Ziploc unit.

Your're right about the Pump-n-Seal fitting in the drawer since that is where it has a permanent home of non-use. You may be excited about using it, but its not for me and I especially don't like the canning lids rusting and possibly contaminating the contents because of the hole punched in them.

The FoodSaver remains the most practical and versatile unit IMHO, along with the Reynolds Handi-Vac and even the Ziploc unit.

Yuck! I can see why that would leave you less than impressed.

I found information explaining how to use the Pump-N-Seal without punching a hole in the lid, so that's the way I do it. It invovles getting the lid attachment for the Foodsaver and also a piece of tubing that is used for attaching the Foodsaver to the lid attachment. This enables me to use/reuse the lids w/o a hole and, so far, I've had no problems. Things have remained sealed for over a year. I don't have any of the other things you mentioned, so I've been happy to have the Pump-N-Seal. Just FYI, I'm including the website address (I don''t know how to make it a link) to the site that contains the information about using the Foodsaver lid attachment with the Pump-N-Seal, if you ever decide to give it a try again. If I had to punch a hole in the lid, I don't think I'd like it much, either---especially given the outcome you've described.

http://www.curevents.com/vb/showthread.php?t=93816

Genoa,

I don't have a pump and seal, but have just begun to try to use my foodsaver on a more regular basis. I bought the jar/canister attachment and have using that to seal dehydrated veggies in jars.

I always forget about leftovers though! Thanks for the reminder!

Archived