MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

A math question...HELP!

Trip

I need math help and can't find it on the net without buying a math kit...I just need a simple ( well not for me it ain't) question.

Back ground...

I'v always wanted to build a traditional ( to a point) Navaho Hogan, out of logs. My question is thios

A hogan built with 16 ft walls, all eight of them would give a living area of...????? how many sq feet?.....

Trip

1,236.08 square feet.

But who has square feet? Be hard to find shoes.

WOW, is that true OMB???? ... I had no idea it would be that much!....COOL!!

Thank you!!!...Ed-u-makation is a gooder thang huh?

For a square or rectangle, Area (often measured in square feet or square yards or square inches or square meters, etc) = Length times Width.

I'm not sure what a Hogan looks like and how the eight walls are arranged. If it's an octagon, the calculating is multi-step: http://mathcentral.uregina.ca/QQ/database/...04/jeremy2.html

Yep it's octagon...door must always face the east... higher math ( anything above Look Jane !Look! see Spot run!!!) is beyond me...hated it in school,still hate it.. :happy0203:

:thumbs: Hey trip try this......................

find a grassy place big enough and get some flour.

then use the flour to mark off one wall- a 16 foot line.

now figure your angle and mark off the 2 on each side of this line.

keep going until you have all 8 sides done.

then just stand in the middle and you will see just how big it will be for you.

are you done? happy with the size? now just wait for it to rain and the flour will wash away. This is good if you did it in a park or someones elses lawn. ;)

If you have any 8 ' or 16 ' boards laying around it may be easier to get the angles right using them so you can move them back and forth until they are evenly spaced.

Good Luck !

:AmishMichaelstraw:

Archived