MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Root Cellar ?

Kelly

Does anyone have and use a root cellar? I was thinking of trying to get my DH to build me one if it doesn't cost alot. I was wanting one of the old fashion kind but instead of it going under the house just build one in the side of a hill. Anyone have any thoughts?

Kelly,

I'm waiting with you for replys. We are building one next year. My husband has all the equipment to mound over the dirt. But we aren't sure of the design. I wish it was as easy as someone saying " build it this way". I guess we will have to build to suit each of our locations. I'll do more research!! Good luck with yours.

Carol

My "root cellar" is basically and insulated room in one corner of the basement. We have an old farm house and the basement stays cool in the summer but in winter when the rest of the basement is heated the root cellar stays about 40 degrees. I store all of my canned jars in there as well as my potatoes and squash. I keep apples in an old refrigerator so they keep better. Never store apples and potatoes together because they apples give off a gas that will cause your potatoes to sprout quickly.

The type of root cellar that you build depends a lot on what will work best in your area. Where I live we get a lot of snow so I am glad to have it in my basement. Ask around to see what others in your area are using.

Archived