MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Help!

Pansy

;) Oh boy! Last year we made some delicious Spiced Peaches and now cannot find the recipe! Darn! It did not have Honey in it - seems like it was white Vinegar, sugar etc., each Peach half had a whole Clove put in it. Does anyone have a recipe like this? Have a collection of cook books, plus canning books but sure can't find this recipe again.

You can use white sugar if you want and white vinegar, as long as your vinegar is at least 5 % acidity. Normally I use cider vinegar when canning because it tastes less sharp. Either is fine, just a preference. This says remove the cloves, but it is up to you. I would prefer a raw pack, myself, but you do get more in a jar with a hotpack and less floating fruit.

Below is one recipe. This is a different link.. http://homecooking.about.com/od/fruitrecipes/r/blfruit49.htm

Pickled Peaches

2 pounds brown sugar

2 cups apple cider vinegar

1/2 oz. whole cloves

1 oz. stick cinnamon

4 quarts fresh freestone peaches

Preparation -

In a very large saucepan or stockpot, mix the sugar, vinegar, and cinnamon together. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and cook for 20 minutes. Meanwhile, dip the peaches, a few at a time, in boilng water, then remove the skin. Cut the peaches in half and remove the pits. Stick each peach half with 2 cloves. Place the peach halves in the syrup and cook over low heat for a few minutes, just intil the peaches are barely tender. Remove the cloves, and pack the peach halves in 1 quart canning jars. Pour the syrup into the jars, enough to cover the peaches and leaving 1/2" headspace. Run a thin spatula or non-metallic utensil through each jar to remove air bubbles. Wipe the jar rims with a damp paper towel. Place the caps and rims on the jars. Snugly hand-tighten the rims. Process in a boiling water bath canner for 25 minutes.

Archived