MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

The recipe vs. real life

bluegrassmom

Does this happen to anyone else? Almost every time I'm following a recipe for something to can and I follow it to a T, my yield is always higher than what the recipe says the yield will be. The recipe I just used siad it was for 8 half pints. I followed it exactly and I have 12 half pints in my canner with some leftover still in the pot. Wonder why that happens?

Are you using dry cup measurements for dry ingredients and liquid measuring cup for liquid things ? It does make a difference. Also, some measuring cups are not accurate. If you have inexpensive ones they may not be accurate. I would recommend checking with Test Kitchens of America for their results. They really do test these things. You would think measuring cups and spoons would all have to be accurate, but they aren't.

Also, it can make a difference in how small or large you cut the pieces of food.

Also you need to take into consideration the amount of headspace that you leave in the jars. A 1/2" of headspace in a pint jar is probably 1/4 cup, If you add up all of the 1/4 cups time 8 jars that equals another pint jar full.

Archived