MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Where to buy canning supplies?

Teaberry

I found this fantastic website answering questions on canning:

http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/questions/FAQ_canning.html#4

I just canned my first jam the other day and thought a lot of space was being wasted, since I couldn't stack jars atop one another. The site above had the answer:

Can two layers of jars be processed in a canner at one time?

Yes, two layers can be processed at one time, in either the boiling water bath or pressure canner. Place a small wire rack between the layers so water or steam will circulate around each jar. Make certain that the water covers the tops of all jars by 1 inch in a boiling water bath canner. The pressure canner should have 2 to 3 inches of water in the bottom.

Okay, so where do I buy another rack to place atop the bottom layer of jars? I don't want to have to buy an entire water bath canner just to get another rack.

(Btw, my extension agent told me it is important to have a rack, so the jars don't tilt over and cause the seal to fail.)

Those round wire cake racks work OK?

and you can sometimes find waterbath canners at yard sales or thrift shops cheap. Most of the time the canner is rusty but the rack is OK and if you can get them for $2.00 (like we did) use the rack and put the canner to work for you elsewere like in the garden or to hold books/magizines etc.

welcome to the world of canner people. ;)

Check your thift stores. You can often find racks here for cheap, for $1 or less. The best ones I have are from a small charcoal bbq grill.

Still, even with a rack, stagger the jars. Don't sit one on top of the other.

You can buy new racks for canners here, but I won't pay the $$ they want for them. No need to when I find them cheap at the thrift stores.

You can put a folded towel in the bottom, too, and then use the rack for the second layer.

Archived