MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Amount of meat in jars

CrabGrassAcres

I'm trying to get calorie counts for food storage. I do not have an accurate scale. (On the list!)

Could I get some of you folks to weigh the amount of actual food (less broth/water) in your jars? If you can get the amount you put in AND the amount after processing that would really help. Also if you can state whether the food was purchased at the grocery or if you raised it yourself, particularly meats. I'd like to see how much water cooks out of home raised compared to grocery purchased. Also state if you raw packed or cooked the meat first.

Thanks!

Not sure if this will help but here's is what I've narrowed down...

13 pounds of boneless beef (sirloin roast, bottom round, top round) will yield me 16 pints, +/- one jar.

14 pounds of pork Boston Butt yields 12 pints. ***This was a combination of 2 roasts and they did have a very small bone in them. DH estimated that each bone weighed about 1/2 pound or so each...so in other words, approximately 13 pounds of meat for 12 pints. Not a single piece of meat left over but the last jar was just slightly less full than others, but not enough to make a major difference.

I do all my meat Raw Pack and is bought from the grocery store. I also can with water as opposed to broth.

I never calculated any of my other meats but plan on doing so I can have good guidelines like the above so I don't over/under buy. I hate running my canner at less than full capacity because of the energy involved. If by chance I have some left over I freeze it until the next go round.

Hope that helps!

**Edit to say...if I get around to opening a jar soon I'll let you know the after-canning weight. Because I do Raw Pack I pack the jars fairly tightly as I know the meat will cook and shrink in the jars.

Archived