MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Dehydrating Sprouts

mimi

Anybody here that sprouts beans and things? I do and I never really gave it much thought but I could have saved myself a bunch of spoiled sprouts over the years if I had just had the brains to dehydrate them. Just rinse, drain and dry at about 120 degrees. A jar full would be great to have around to add to soups or even things like meat loaf or burgers. A bag of lentils from Walmart will sprout and those would be a cheap way to get nutrition in bad times.

I would think drying them would kill the enzymes in the raw sprouts.

If you normally eat them cooked, it might work.

We lose some nutrition when we freeze, can or dehydrate rather than utilizing our foods raw. Chinese food is cooked and it uses bean sprouts. There are more uses for sprouts than just grazing on them raw.

LindaLou, I have never done the grasses. I was referring to bean sprouts because I generally make more than I know what to do with and thought just drying them for use in soup or something would be a way to see that they are used up and also provide just one more thing we can put on the shelf as storage in its cooked form that doesn't need 4 days to produce in order to eat it.

Gee, so sorry I mentioned losing nutrients when dehydrating the raw sprouts.

Didn't mean to offend you.

Leah, I wasn't offended by what you said. I just wanted to point out that there are uses for sprouts other than raw. There have been many health scares about raw sprouts in the past. Maybe cooking them is the best way to go. Most grains and beans that we are storing are suitable for sprouting and could be used if vegetables are not available for some reason it is just another thing to know about if we ever find ourselves in dire straights. :-) Personally, I do not really like raw sprouts. Probably because I don't like raw beans either.

Archived