MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Groundhog Day

Amishway Homesteaders

It is Feb. 2,2010 and that means it is Groundhog Day.

WELL, Phil saw his shadow today so........................

That means tomoorrow is Wednesday! LOL

Does Phil know? and it's good to know these things...Who's Phil? can you eat a Ground Hog?... taste like pig?

I put 2 pictures in the shoutbox in honor of Phil...

Take a look and tell me - Which do you like best, the first or the second? :whistling:

But Sammi died! :o

~~~~~

Sammi the Pocono groundhog is dead; predicted more winter on her last day

February 02, 2010

As the first rays of dawn crept over the horizon in Kresgeville, they found a decidedly more somber celebration in place of the gaiety which normally occupies the field behind Cherry's Sunset Restaurant on Tuesday.

Sammi III, Monroe County's own prognosticating groundhog was dead. She was 10 years old.

According to members of Groundhog Lodge No. 6, organizers of the yearly event, Sammi was not feeling well several days prior to her big day and summoned the lodge's weatherman Harold Kreger to her side to issue an early prediction.

Kreger quoted Sammi, "Whether or not if the sun would shine I think that it would be six more weeks of winter. Some of this cold weather; and I hate it, will be here, some snow, wind and maybe some rain again. I want you to say hello to all my friends. Sorry if I don't make it, but don't worry. I'll be where there is a lot of alfalfa, dandelion leaves, and soy beans."

In the wild groundhogs will live two to three years on average, making Sammi old enough to be a great-great grandmother.

The Poconos' version of the world famous Punxsutawney Phil predicted the weather behind Cherry's Sunset Family Restaurant in Kresgeville for several years.

The Groundhog Lodge No. 6 is actively seeking a replacement for Sammi, who was one of several prognosticating groundhogs for the lodge, which dates back 60 years.

German tradition holds that if a hibernating animal casts a shadow on Feb. 2 -- the Christian holiday of Candlemas -- winter would last another six weeks. If no shadow is seen, legend notes that spring would come early.

http://www.poconorecord.com/apps/pbcs.dll/...9978/-1/NEWSMAP

~~~~~

Imagine the shock... :rolleyes:

Archived