MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Pepper Free Relish

Joanna

I am trying to find a recipe for canning relish. Every recipe has bell peppers in them and I am allergic to bell peppers. Does anyone know what to substitute? Or have a recipe without peppers in it?

Thanks for all your help!

Joanna,

Go to the link I sent. If you don't like the peppers, then leave them out. Won't have the same flavor, though, but will be safe. If you use the dill recipes they will be like ground dill pickles, which I think will be fine. The onion will help for flavor. If you like hot and can have them you can sub any kind of other peppers you want in the same amounts called for. Aneheims are not very hot. I have no idea what flavor the relish would have with them in it. Me, I would just leave out the peppers and follow the rest of the recipe.

Thank you so much. I cannot have any peppers in the sweet pepper family but I can have spice peppers. I found out the recipe will be to runny if I just leave the peppers out but I can substitute peppers that I can have for a spicier relish or, for a more traditional flavor I can actually substitute celery! Who would have thought?

Thank you so much. I cannot have any peppers in the sweet pepper family but I can have spice peppers. I found out the recipe will be to runny if I just leave the peppers out but I can substitute peppers that I can have for a spicier relish or, for a more traditional flavor I can actually substitute celery! Who would have thought?

Thank you all for the help. I checked out the website you recommended and combined it with an old family recipe of my grandmothers as well as some of the information I learned in my research here is what I finally ended up with.

http://walkercooking.blogspot.com/2010/03/...les-relish.html

• 5 months later...

Thank you all for the help. I checked out the website you recommended and combined it with an old family recipe of my grandmothers as well as some of the information I learned in my research here is what I finally ended up with.

http://walkercooking.blogspot.com/2010/03/...les-relish.html

I just have to say this is "AMAZING!" I wasn't sure how to use this at first but I soon found out this is a great secret ingrediant. It is the best for adding to chicken salad, tuna salad, egg sald. Nobody understands why my picnic salads are so much better than any others they have ever had. I made 5 gallons of this relish and I am already almost out. I can't wait for them to be back in season.

Archived