MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

First Ever Canned Chicken

TurtleMama

Pam, I am sorry to say, but it is not safe.... they get up to pressure and then fall in pressure too fast to be safe. Both of those factors are part of the safe processing time. Your food is under processed. It may contain botulism.

Unless a canner will hold at least 4 quart sized jars, it is unsafe to process food in.

That is why what you have is called a "cooker" and not a "canner". It must only be used to cook foods in.

Pam, I am sorry to say, but it is not safe.... they get up to pressure and then fall in pressure too fast to be safe. Both of those factors are part of the safe processing time. Your food is under processed. It may contain botulism.

Unless a canner will hold at least 4 quart sized jars, it is unsafe to process food in.

That is why what you have is called a "cooker" and not a "canner". It must only be used to cook foods in.

I understand I CANNOT use the pressure cooker as a canner and will discard the hamburger. But why can the presto company send me a brochure saying it is safe to use as a canner?

Especially when the USDA preserving guide says no it must be a canner. Now I have money invested in a pressure cooker that could have gone towards a canner.

live and learn I guess Thanks for your help. Pam

Pam, how old is that information ? They used to sell an 8 qt. cooker and say it was a canner for pints. Last I checked they no longer do that, only sell it as a cooker.

I am sorry you were misled. Part of the problem is they just make the products to sell. They have no food preservation training to properly instruct someone.

The cooker is still a great kitchen item and makes cooking things so fast.

Archived