MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Silicone baking Pans

Hi Everybody,

Yesterday at a thrift store, I found a silicone meat loaf baking pan. I washed it, let it sit in bleach water and then put it thru the dishwasher.

Today I used it to make meat loaf for dinner. I used the same recipe and bake time and temperature that I’ve used for years. When I pulled it out of the oven, juices were bubbling, almost to the point of foaming. Within maybe 30 seconds of removing it from the oven, the bubbling / foaming stopped. Then all I saw was the oil that is usually in the pan.

Is this normal ??? Is it safe to eat ??? Has anyone used one of these silicone pans ???

Thanks in advance

YYY

Hi there,

I've used these types of pans for a while and I don't know why it would foam, unless some soap residue was left behind. I like these pans becuase after a few minutes you can turn out your bread/muffins, etc. and they just don't stick at all.

I do encourage people to use some sort of pan beneath them though, or a rack for support because the silicone is rarely strong enough to sit on the oven rack. Also, the pan helps in case of boiling over.

Did it taste okay?

Hi Crazy4Canning and Girl Next Door and Nini2033a,

I am sorry that it took so long to get back to y’all. For the past few days every time I tried to post, I got a message that said "the menu has been disabled". I tried to reply and to start a new topic. I don't know what I did wrong. I hope it goes thru this time.

Thank you for taking the time to reply.

The meat loaf looked fine, smelled fine and tasted fine (I only ate a couple of bites). The oil in the pan didn’t bother me because that’s how it’s always been. It was the foaming/boiling that worried me. I’ve never seen that before. To be honest, I’m afraid to eat more.

I do agree that you should use a metal pan below the silicone pan.

On the positive side, I loved how easy it was to clean the pan. I was able to turn it inside out to wash it.

Thanks again,

YYY

Archived