MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Trying to decide on new canner

It seems more efficient to have more than one canner going since I have to hang around and keep an eye on it. I'm trying to decide if I should get the 15.5 qt AA canner that takes 7 qt jars or the 30qt one that takes 14 qts. I already have an old 15 that takes 7 qt jars. A

(Is there some reason I can't see the cursor when I'm typing to start a thread or answer a post? The delete key doesn't work either. ) , nor does the "cut, copy or past". Excuse the typos.) A

One thing you might consider if you turn both canners on at the same time and have to set a timer for them you might want the same size so you can set the time for both at the same time. I know when I stack pints in my canner the time for it to steam up is MUCH faster than when I use one layer. So if you use the stack one at the same time as the single layer there will be a time difference between them.

Weeelllll....see here's my dilemma and a confession.

Look at my screen name... "Crazy 4 Canning".... what does that tell you? LOL

Seriously, I have 3 pressure canners - a number 5, a number 7, and a LARGE one that can handle 14. The larger one is new, but works just fine.

When I can, I do large batches to save time. I rotate through the canners and while one is cooling, one is heating up. This gets me to process things EXTRA FAST since I just have a regular electric stove.

BTW - I also have 2 water bath canners for an electric stove (flat bottomed) and 2 speckled wavy-bottomed canners for a gas stove. I've got it bad, I know. BUT a year and a half ago when my stove died, I had to put up 2 boxes of pears and used my friends' gas stove...I was SO GLAD I had those speckled canners! :)

So- I don't know if this answers your question or creates more confusion. I have a number of canners and USE THEM ALL. If you're really cramped on space, I would keep the ones that you know are most effecient and then sell the others.

Happy canning! :wub:

Archived