MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

I should really know the answer to this question...but I don't.

Ok. The majority of my bread baking experience has been with sweet breads, biscuits, rolls, or an occasional loaf of country white. But I recently got a whole wheat sourdough starter. This is a kind of dough I've not dealt with before. It is very hardy and hefty. Here's my problem. It has to rise for a very long time. As much as 12 hours. By the time the dough has risen several hours the top of it has hardened. I cover it with paper towels or a flour sack towel. Should I butter the top of it? Would that keep the top of the loaf soft? I would love some advice as bread is not my culinary forte.

When I have my bread in the pan to rise I spray it with Pam and then cover it with a towel. It has stuck to the towel a few times. Maybe spray with Pam or butter it and then some wax paper and then a towel?

:wormie2:

John

Ok. The majority of my bread baking experience has been with sweet breads, biscuits, rolls, or an occasional loaf of country white. But I recently got a whole wheat sourdough starter. This is a kind of dough I've not dealt with before. It is very hardy and hefty. Here's my problem. It has to rise for a very long time. As much as 12 hours. By the time the dough has risen several hours the top of it has hardened. I cover it with paper towels or a flour sack towel. Should I butter the top of it? Would that keep the top of the loaf soft? I would love some advice as bread is not my culinary forte.

I would oil the dough and use plastic wrap to cover it. If you prefer using a paper or cloth towel it would probably help if they were damp.

Archived