MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Apple jelly making question?

OK we have an apple tree in our yard that makes a ton of small green apples every year. I took a bite of one and it's sour but tastes ok. Can you make apple jelly out of this? I guess what I"m wondering, is it the sugar you add that makes the apple jelly tasty, or do you need to use higher quality apples? It just seems a shame for all these apples to go to waste. Also, if I did make jelly, do I need a canner to seal the jars, or is there some other way to do this without a canner? I just know I won't be able to afford to go buy a canner before the apples all go bad, and it seems stupid to do that since I've never canned anything.

Yes, you need to process the jars, but any deep stockpot with alid and tall enough for the water to cover over the tops of the jars by 1 to 2 inches and still have it boil will work. Put a towel in the bottom or a cake cooling rack, or something or the jars will break.

You can use the tart apples. I think you should read up on this here :

http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/how/can7_jam_jelly.html

Oh, if you have an electric stove do not get a ridged bottom canner, it needs to be flat and smooth on the bottom. The ridged are only for gas stoves.

Archived