MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Mixed Vegetables

mishbloom

Morning everybody! I haven't been around in a while, but I plead hostile invasion in my garden (WHERE DID ALL THIS SQUASH COME FROM????) and a very long summer with Manlings.

I have been trying to freeze some of the veggies coming out of my garden (saute' carrots, onions, celery, SQUASH, and whatever else I throw in), but I'm running out of freezer space. (Thanks to a wonderful Mennonite lady who had excesses of corn which are now frozen in the chest freezer!) :cheeky-smiley-067:

:pc_coffee: I was perusing the Mixed Vegetables page over at the website Violet always quotes http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/how/can_04/mixed_vegetables.html

I need a little help though.

This is the recipe as written:

6 cups sliced carrots

6 cups cut, whole kernel sweet corn

6 cups cut green beans

6 cups shelled lima beans

4 cups whole or crushed tomatoes

4 cups diced zucchini

Optional mix – You may change the suggested proportions or substitute other favorite vegetables except leafy greens, dried beans, cream-style corn, winter squash and sweet potatoes.

So I'm thinking I can probably use this to mix and match whatever I've got on hand--but do you have any suggestions as to proportions and such?

I'm really no good at altering recipes, and I just don't know how much I can "mix and match" before it's not safe any more.

Help??

I've never done this recipe but if I did I would make sure that what I put in would add up to the original amount. That one calls for 32 cups and as long as what I put in adds up to 32 cups I would feel okay.

:wormie2:

John

You really need to be careful with the amount of zucchini, too. It gets too mushed down and will be too dense. I would not add any more than called for with the zucchini.

Check out the recipe for tomatoes with zucchini and you will see the warning of using exact amounts.

Better safe than sorry.

That sounds like something I can handle, Wormie. 32 cups. Easy enough... *hands start to sweat*

Will do on the zucchini, Vi. WAIT....there's an actual "tomato and zucchini" recipe?? I "THOUGHT" I had seen one somewhere, then it wasn't in any of my books and I started to think I had just imagined it! Heh. ....just when you think the Alzheimer's really HAS destroyed your brain.... LOL

Alright, I'm gonna go take care of the rest of this mess. It's slowly spilling all over my kitchen and dining room 'cause I just didn't want to face it anymore! :whistling:

Thanks! You guys are the best. Really.

Archived