MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Need thoughts, opinions, direction, guidance

Jori

Dh and I are taking the kids on our annual trip out East next Thursday (we will be 4 hours outside of DC). DH has been talking about going to the 8/28 rally but decided it wasn't a good idea because of DD & DS being so little (3 1/2 & 2) and not being able to drive to it, and lodging. So I thought it was a moot point but did offer that if he wanted to go, I wouldn't have a problem with it as my aunt would be at the cabin by then and we could do things.

Anyway, DH called me on my way home from my parents 2 hours ago and asked me how I felt about going IF he could find a bus that was going from the Cumberland area. As he is telling me more, he has found the charter bus with 4 seats available. I told him we could talk about it tonight but I can tell you I am more than a little concerned about going. DD will not always use public washrooms (forget a port-a-john) and she won't go in a pull-up unless she is sleeping. DS is a runner and doesn't like to be held or stay still. DH mentioned there is suppose to be a Black Panther Rally in the Mall, too.

In general, I am not really comfortable taking the trip at all this year, and this is where my vacations were growing up and since we've been dating. Gut feeling, I guess but I just don't think it's the time to be trekking out to DC.

Anyone have any opinions or thoughts or anything else? Am I over analyzing it?

For adults, the 8/28 rally in DC could be a wonderful opportunity to make a connection with many like-minded people, there for a peaceful rally supporting the United States of America.

*HOWEVER*... there are certain elements who seem to be preparing to create situations where ordinarily peaceful people may be pushed to react. There are groups preparing to infiltrate and make the peaceful *possibly* appear nasty and violent.

I would not be comfortable taking young children into that atmosphere. Your "gut" is already telling you that, or you wouldn't be asking.

During the last one on 9/12, DC shut down their normal camcorders and only the traffic cams were running to show the crowds of people. Thousands jammed the subways and some subways runs were shut down, and many buses were turned away before ever reaching the city. A seat on one is no guarantee you'll reach the Mall without walking there from a great distance. I watched the crowds passing through DC as it happened. People who went told of many more who were never allowed to actually get to the Mall.

That said, DC police told participants that it was the cleanest, most orderly, polite crowd they had ever seen on the Mall. I've read accounts from people who were there, and they were very glad they went.

But it may not be that way this time, because the surest and quickest way to turn people away from the "Tea Party" movement is to make them appear to be who they are most definitely *not*.

(Accounts were written about racist comments, spitting, and other insulting behavior during the "Health Care" vote protest, but NONE of it was proven and there was video showing that time frame that show it didn't happen. (The "spitting" was overspray from yelling, on video.) Still many people in the media never retracted it publicly and it still lives as "truth". <_< )

No, I sure wouldn't take my little ones there. :(

Archived