MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

The "Last" Sunday of Summer

mommafitz

OK....Not really but it is according to the seasonal business! :grinning-smiley-044: We've got until the 22nd of this month according to my calendar!

Good morning Ya'll! :wave:

It is cold here this morning! It feels like fall this weekend. It will get warm again but it's God's way of reminding us what is on the way! :blink:

We went to the county fair last night. It seemed to be a bit disappointing. Lots of people but not much on entries, booths from local businesses and groups, nor was the midway very much. Oh well. Maybe I'm just getting old. :0327: Even my sons remarked that it was a let down this year.

We spent yesterday doing errands. Today I'm going to actually spend some time cooking and cleaning. We have been so busy since we moved that I haven't got to enjoy cooking. DH has some spare ribs resting with a Rub since yesterday to be grilled today. I'm gonna make some BBQ beans and potato salad as sides. The beans are wonderful! They cook for 2 hours in the oven. Yumm!!!!! I'm making a Strawberry Shortcut Cake (from scratch) and some chocolate chip cookies. We are doing our Labor Day meal today. :feedme:

I accepted a promotion at work this past week. :thumbs: I am now a member of the Management! Yay me!!! :woohoo: I'm off for Labor Day but I have to set in on a job interview in the morning. That shouldn't last too long. I gotta take DS2 back to college in the afternoon.

So what's everyone else doing for Labor Day weekend? (Ya'll aren't still hunting for towels, socks, sanity, etc. are ya? :laughkick: )

Have a fantabulous day!

mommafitz

:woohoo: Congratulations on the promotion! Am so happy for you~~~

Yep, my labor day weekend liklely will consist of searching for towels, socks, and sanity. Back when folks had lots less "stuff" laundry was easier. One dress to wear, one to wash. On the towels, old hillbilly saying is folks bathed once a year. In the spring. Whether they needed it or not. :laughkick:

Good morning~

It sure is chilly this morning but the sun is shining and the wind has finally died down.

DH joined his brother at a re-enactment (I guess, not open to the public) the period was 1760-1812. He is all excited to get into it AND then I burst his bubble. I had to remind him that he is already gone 2 nights a week for lodge and will more than likely be taking a chair so he will have more demands and that FIL really wants to cut back his time in the offices (fact of the matter, he wants to retire 100%) so taking on one more commitment is not really a good idea (and would close the door on any discussion about another set of feet running around in the house). Then he said, well there are families with little kids participating. Didn't tell him but I was thinking it would probably be interesting (and a huge amount of skills) to do this (hunting, outdoor cooking, etc.) So I was thinking it might be a doable family thing just for the knowledge and skills if there is a SHTF situation (always thinking.....)

I babysat my neice yesterday so my sister and BIL could work. Little miss will be 1 next Saturday, so I had 3 under 4 running around from 7 am until 4 in the afternoon. I was amazed at how will they did all day with each other. Ah, new situations, gotta love them - everyone acting so nicely. :lol: But even with the added feet to chase I was still able to freeze bell peppers and make pasta sauce.

DH and I are taking our 2 to the steam engine museum today for the annual Labor Day Weekend Power Show. We'll ride the trains, walk around and checkout all of the old steam equipment and see where they are going on some of the restoration of things. They have the original steam generator that ran one of the hospitals in Chicago - so cool! And then we will make the annual voyage into the gift shop so they can play with the Thomas the Tank Engine Train Table (because it's different from the one is DS's room) :shrug:

Tomorrow will be at my in-laws for our Labor Day meal and my MIL's birthday. We'll be having ribs, too. Hopefully, I can finish up the tomatoes in the fridge today and tomorrow and start cleaning out the root vegetables in the garden for canning and drying.

Mommafitz~ Congratulations on the promotion! :hug3::cele: Oh, and I still haven't found the new container of dried parsley..... I'll go buy a new one so the missing one can magically reappear.

Granny~ Great to see you on here this morning. :bighug2:

My coffee is calling. Have a great day!

The towels are rescued and the perpetrators have been caught and punished. ;)

It's nice here today but it was cold this morning. I serve coffee the 1st Sunday of the month at church.That is always fun.

I signed up to work at the Michiana Mennonite Relief Sale on the 24th so if you are in the area drop in and say Hi. :wave:

This will be the 3rd year I've worked it and I love doing it.

It was a comfortable 85 at 6 am, but, it is already hot here, in the 100's, yesterday was a warm 109. I'm noticing lately, that it is getting harder and harder to recover from being outside. :knary:

It is a peaceful day for me, DH slept in and I'm quietly studying. The dove and a variety of other birds were showering in the early morning sprinkler, that was soaking down the soil in the garden in order to plant on Monday. It is a New Moon on Tuesday and I'm excited to see what grows. I've chosen a variety of seeds to see what grows best in the fall and set some aside for the spring garden in January/February.

We plan on settling into our chairs and watching a movie or two. Roast beast with potatoes & carrots, spiced with onion, celery, salt & pepper with bolio rolls, is planned for dinner.

Congratulations on your promotion, mommafitz.

Gofish, it sounds like you should enjoy yourself.

Enjoy the re-enactment Jori, it sounds like fun.

Hi, Granny; our plans for the 'holiday' are to take it easy and relax. I might even BBQ something. :campfire:

Hope you all have a fantastic day.

:bouquet:

PM me details. I might try to swing out, I think it's about an hour and a half or so for me from the westside of the state. I think we are going to take the kids to Amish Acres that weekend for one of the days.

The towels are rescued and the perpetrators have been caught and punished. ;)

It's nice here today but it was cold this morning. I serve coffee the 1st Sunday of the month at church.That is always fun.

I signed up to work at the Michiana Mennonite Relief Sale on the 24th so if you are in the area drop in and say Hi. :wave:

This will be the 3rd year I've worked it and I love doing it.

In my other life - Labor day was always a 'working weekend' with lots of shows. BUT now that I am retired things are so laid back that it is nice to just do nothing. We did go on a Hay Ride Saturday night that was a lot of fun ( at a campground that I used to do a job for every Holiday) was good to see old freinds again.

But today we are staying home and just eating, reading, eating , going for a walk, eating, play games, eating and taking it easy.

Cooler weather here for the past few days and that is good after all the hot weather. Taking time each morning to get a little bit more of cleaning up the gardens done before Fall . Still have lots growing but some things are done for the year. Every bed that is now empty I have been turning over to get ready for next year.

We did go for a 'road trip' on Saturday (about 150 miles total) driving around and just seeing the areas by the Finger Lakes and hitting yard saleas and thrift shops along the way. And then we went out for Chinnesse Buffet Dinner and then had to shop more to 'walk it off'. Came home with the van loaded and had to find placed to put things, FUN day and so relaxing.

:AmishMichaelstraw:

Archived