MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Pumpkin Cobbler

I found this recipe a while back. Can't remember, for the life of me, where the heck I got it. I've been tweeking with it a bit here and there...It's delicious just as it comes though.

Filling:

2 eggs, beaten

1 cup evaporated milk

3 cups cooked mashed pumpkin or butternut squash

1 cup white sugar

½ cup dark brown sugar

1 tablespoon all-purpose flour

1 teaspoon cinnamon

¼ teaspoon ginger

¼ teaspoon cloves

¼ teaspoon nutmeg

½ teaspoon salt

Crust:

½ cup butter

1 cup all-purpose flour

1 cup white sugar

4 teaspoons baking powder

½ teaspoon salt

1 cup milk

1 teaspoon vanilla

Topping:

1 tablespoon butter

2 tablespoons white sugar

Preheat oven to 350 F

In a large bowl, combine eggs, milk and pumpkin; add the rest of the filling ingredients, mix well and set aside.

Prepare the crust: Melt the butter in a 9x11-inch baking pan. In another bowl, mix the remaining crust ingredients until just combined and pour into baking pan on top of the melted butter.

Spoon or slowly pour the filling evenly over the crust batter in the pan. Do not stir. Dot the top with the remaining 1 tablespoon butter and sprinkle with the 2 tablespoons sugar.

Bake 1 hour. Serves 8-10

Yes it does say to pour the filling OVER the crust. No you wont be flipping it over. The topping floats up to the top and makes this delightful meringue-y angel food cake-y crust. I personally like to add in a bit more salt... I think it brings out the pumpkin flavor better. I've also been trying out using fresh pumpkin, diced small-ish instead of pumpkin puree-just pouring the crust over it.

Also I'm sure im not the only one that likes to weigh out stuff for some reason...:sEm_blush: but one cup of pumpkin puree is about 10 oz. Guess it helps you to figure out how many cans you need...or...something...

• 1 year later...

Thank you for a pumpkin recipe I don't have yet! This looks tasty, maybe I'll see if I can convert a non-pumpkin eater. Oh by the way, at my local Piggly Wiggly store (don't know where they are common other than the midwest...) canned pumpkin in 15 oz cans was 78 cents. I bought 12.

Edited by kappydell
  • 1 month later...

I just made this last night. It is DELICIOUS! Definitely a keeper recipe! I think that next time, and there will be a next time because it's so good, I will decrease the butter by a third as well as the sugar. It was a bit too sweet for our tastes. But a great recipe! Thanks for sharing!

• 5 years later...