MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

wonderful videos on dehydrating, using your dehydrated foods

LaBellaVita

I just wanted to share this video series of videos on dehydrating foods hoping they help someone else as much as they helped me. I felt kind of overwhelmed with dehydrating, what do I do w/ it after its been dehydrated, etc, and these videos were very encouraging for me. I also really liked it when she shared how she stored her dehydrated foods to help prevent the vacuumed-sealed bags from getting holes in them.

(there are 10 parts to this series)

Thanks for posting the link! I'm sort of self-taught on the dehydrating, though I picked up more than a few tips from sites like Mrs.S. I'm going to have to try to watch some of these today. There is no substitute for actually seeing it done properly. I think that I have a habit of over-drying some foods, like mushrooms.

you know I had worried that I over-dehydrated some things too, but when I see her foods, maybe I didn't? :shrug: She discusses the hollow/plasticy sound foods should make when being dropped on the counter.

She has sooooo many examples of dehydrated foods, what they look like, and she even has a separate video (not a part of this series) where she dehydrates a 1 lb bag of corn, broccoli, and other vegetables, and then shows you what that really equals once its dehydrated. Maybe 1 cup is all.

She also is very meticulous about wearing vinyl gloves, something I wouldn't have considered. Don't know if I would actually do that, though her point is valid (oils and moisture from skin getting on foods).

Next time I go to Costco I'm going to be buying some frozen veggies to dehydrate. :happy0203:

Archived