MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Canning in BBQ Sauce???

TurtleMama

I was perusing the web for information on canning and came across a thread about canning meats...one lady said that she canned beef in thinned-down bottled BBQ sauce. That doesn't sound right to me, but thought I'd run it by y'all...is that safe? I like the idea of being able to have BBQ beef or pork right out of a jar, but I certainly do NOT want to do anything that would put my family at risk.

Another lady said she canned bacon!!!!! ACK!!!!! :banghead:

Can I just say how much I love that at Mrs. Survival, we have people we can ask these questions of and trust their answers!!! :D

NCHFP provides instructions for canning meats in tomato juice so IMO it should be ok depending on the ingredients in the sauce used - like no oils or flour thickeners etc. Many of the commercial sauces have lots of thickeners added. Thinning it down doesn't remove the thickeners but it "might" reduce their effect some. But it is so easy to just reheat the meat with the sauce of choice at serving time that it wouldn't be worth the risk to me.

Like you, I find trying to can bacon to be a highly unacceptable amount of risk!!

I tend to agree about not using commercial BBQ sauce, though I might consider a homemade ketchup version (on the watery side).

Commercial bacon is smoked and cured, which would seem to result in a strange flavor after reprocessing through a pressure canner. I guess it would be different if you got your pork/ham direct without any preprocessing.

I enjoy life too much to experiment the way some do, but I've lived through a foreign war and have outlived my youthful disregard to the subject of death or injury from my actions. :)

Canned Nerd, thank you for your service, and I'm glad you're here to share your ideas and advice! :)

The lady on the other website said that she used store-bought BBQ sauce and "thinned it down" with water. That just didn't sound right to me...I'm glad I was correct! I'll have to search through my Ball Blue Book to see if there are any safe BBQ meat recipes out there.

And canning bacon! Seriously! LOLOL Although there is this interesting commercial version... http://www.thinkgeek.com/caffeine/wacky-edibles/c399/

I love the gun on the can. :D

Archived