MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Tangerine Marmalade

DonsCountryGal

I made this for the first time this past week-end...our tree is loaded! Here's the recipe I used...nice and simple:

Tangerine Marmalade

3 pounds tangerines

2 small lemons

1 1/2 c. water

4 1/2 c. sugar

1) Chop/Slice the tangerines about 1/4″ thick, peel and all. Do this by hand, so as to remove the seeds. If you’re using a seedless variety, then by all means use the food processor. Repeat with the lemons. (I halved mine to remove the seeds; then quartered each half - putting all pieces in the food processor.)

2) Combine the tangerines, the lemons, and the water in a pot. Bring rapidly to a boil; simmer for 5 minutes. Remove from the heat, cover, and let sit 12 to 18 hours.

3) Start heating up your boiling water bath in a separate pot. To the tangerine mixture, add the sugar (or more, if you like a sweeter marmalade) and bring rapidly to a boil. Stir constantly while bringing the mixture almost to the gelling point.

4) Transfer to clean, sterilized jars and screw on two-piece lids. Process in a boiling water bath for 15 minutes.

Yields 6 half-pints.

The lids all popped nicely and everything seemed to have gone well, but once it cooled, it wasn't as 'solid' as I thought it should have become. Scraping the little bit left in the pot and putting it on some bread tasted really good, though! Perhaps I didn't let the sugared mixture boil long enough to completely melt the sugar? The recipe didn't call for any pectin...said "Using the natural pectin in the citrus to bring the marmalade to a great consistency" and that the sugar was "part of the chemical reaction that causes the pectin to set."

I think it should be okay...but,any thoughts? I have so much fruit and hope to make more marmalade...maybe even some granita!

Marmalade can often take 2-3 weeks to set up. Or even longer. They require patience. ;) Give it some time.

Thanks DDD! That's encouraging. It's currently fairly thick, not at all runny, so...sigh...I will be patient... :whistling:

:feedme:

Archived