MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Jamaican Ginger Beer

themartianchick

Add to a soup pot, two ounces of powdered ginger, half an ounce of cream of tartar, the juice of two lemons, two pounds of sugar (this can vary with personal taste), and one gallon of water.

Simmer mixture over low heat for half an hour.

Allow to cool. When nearly cold, stir into it a large tablespoonful of yeast.

Pour into glass bottles and then seal them.

Let sit for three days before opening.

Do not refrigerate until after the three days has passed to allow the flavors to develop.

This sounds very interesting. I just had homemade rootbeer over the holidays mdae by my son-in-law. He likes cooking. I happen to have a case of flip-top glass beer bottles in my storagee that would be just right for it I think..They are brown bottles.(The brand was "Grolsche". Will let you know when we make it. Katmom

I hope that you enjoy it. I prefer the stuff that is made with yeast rather than the kind that is more like soda. Whenever I find some in a store, I always stop to read the ingredients. The ginger beer is also good for upset stomaches.

This sounds very interesting. I just had homemade rootbeer over the holidays mdae by my son-in-law. He likes cooking. I happen to have a case of flip-top glass beer bottles in my storagee that would be just right for it I think..They are brown bottles.(The brand was "Grolsche". Will let you know when we make it. Katmom

Hehehe Grolsch is Dutch beer with heavy bottles. People make sparkling wine and keep it in those bottles.

Even then they can explode if the pressure gets too high but they'd be my nr 1 choice for rootbeer or gingerbeer.

Archived