MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Chicken Boullion

My chicken boullion powder expired a while back -- I just noticed it while I was cleaning out my cupboards! Should I toss it, or is it still okay to use for a while after the expiration date because of the salt content? It actually expired about a year ago... :sEm_blush: Whoops!

depending on how much you paid for it? a year is getting there as to how good it still is.

It may be safe to use but what about the taste? and also will it change what you are putting it in?

I would not want to add it to a dish/food I spend money on and time making and then have to toss it all out.

So maybe make up a cup using hot water and taste it first before using.

I think on the other hand 'better safe then sorry' so it it would go if here.

How far past the date is it? I agree with you that being it is mostly salt and some have MSG that no self-respecting germ or contagion would dare set foot in that jar. I know there is also fat and some meat in some as well that would be of concern but that is such a small amount. If it is sealed and has not caked up from moisture, I think it should last a long time past the EXP date. Plus, if you are putting it in boiling water anyway I don't think it is something that would make you sick.. The flavor is about the only thing that might change... I have a LARGE Costco container of bullion that has about another year or so on it.. Its in a cool basement in the dark... I'll let that go years past that date and don't think it will be a problem... This is all opinion

Archived