MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Thought I would pass this along - kerosene heating

drumrunner

I thought I'd pass this along about finding and using kerosene heaters for emergencies. In my home, we have been using a DynaGlo 23000 BTU heater for the last few years for supplemental heat very effectively. The heater itself can be bought for around $139 brand new at Lowe's (as of 2010 anyway). The biggest issue is finding affordable kerosene fuel. I looked at several places (Ace Hardware, Lowe's, Home Depot and a few retailers, all selling kerosene between $8 to $12 per gallon), all VERY expensive.

Now the good news. Did quite a bit of research first, then went out to a small local airport to buy 30 gallons of Jet-4 fuel, same as what goes into private jet aircraft. All Jet-4 is is clear kerosene, but cost was substantially less, around $4 per gallon. Over the last 2 months I have been using Jet-4 in my heater, works extremely well; burns clean and hot with no oder, for an economical price. It might be a good idea to call around and ask if the local airports will sell Jet-4 in small quantities for heaters, you might save considerable bit of money!

Deerslayer, we've been thinking about getting some kerosene lanterns for off-the-grid lighting. Once you get the Jet4 Kerosene, what is the best way to store it? I've never worked with kerosene before, and I'm a little nervous because I want to make sure I'm using/storing it safely.

I thought I'd pass this along about finding and using kerosene heaters for emergencies. In my home, we have been using a DynaGlo 23000 BTU heater for the last few years for supplemental heat very effectively. The heater itself can be bought for around $139 brand new at Lowe's (as of 2010 anyway). The biggest issue is finding affordable kerosene fuel. I looked at several places (Ace Hardware, Lowe's, Home Depot and a few retailers, all selling kerosene between $8 to $12 per gallon), all VERY expensive.

Now the good news. Did quite a bit of research first, then went out to a small local airport to buy 30 gallons of Jet-4 fuel, same as what goes into private jet aircraft. All Jet-4 is is clear kerosene, but cost was substantially less, around $4 per gallon. Over the last 2 months I have been using Jet-4 in my heater, works extremely well; burns clean and hot with no oder, for an economical price. It might be a good idea to call around and ask if the local airports will sell Jet-4 in small quantities for heaters, you might save considerable bit of money!

That is good information to have. I have only been around two kerosene heaters in my life and they both made me a bit queasy, though no one else seemed to be bothered by them. HOwever, the relative that had them lives next door. Maybe I should take a look at them to see what type they are.

Archived