MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Canning Question... Recipes with Coconut Milk?

themartianchick

I'm planning to make a pot of callaloo tomorrow and I'm reasonably sure that the recipe could be canned because it essentially a stew and callaloo leaves are like a spinach. Anyway, one of the ingredients that I use in my recipe is coconut milk. Can I safely can coconut milk in a recipe?

I know that I shouldn't can dairy products, but I've never heard of anyone canning recipes with coconut milk. In the event that i can't, I could probably make it without the coconut milk and then add it to the "stew" later.

I'm kind of looking for a way to avoid storing the cans of coconut milk because they are really expensive. If I'm making a large batch, then I could buy one BIG can and use it up. I spent $1.69 per small can last night. There was a can 3 times the size that was $2.09. Once the can is opened, it's use it or lose it.

Thanks, Violet! I knew that you'd know the answer. I might have to try to find some of the dehydrated as you suggest. For now, I'll just stick with making smaller batches. I've got until the first frost to harvest all of my plants anyway, so we can eat it fresh for now. This is the first year that I've planted enough to actually have enough to preserve.

Archived