MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Dehydrated Potatoes

Kathleeen

So, has anyone had any success with these, in terms of making mashed potatoes or other yummy tato dishes? I have dehydrated thin thin thin slices from my food processor, and some thicker ones that I hand cut. They are cream colored to brown when you dry them, even with adequate pre-boiling. I rehydrated one of the thick slices and it was normal tater color again. I've read that you can make flakes out of these that will taste like the store made deyhdrated ones, and I've read you cant. Anyone here ever try?

Yes, we had a good success with that. Cut them in tiny chunks and slices before cooking so cookingtime was reduced. I cooked the potatoes with a bit of citric acid. Mashed them and dried them in the dehydrator.

Cos of the citric acid the colour stays good.

I broke it all up in tiny grains so more fits in a jar with O2 absorber.

Reconstitued with boiling water they act like mashed potato from a package.

Still, I prefer them for stews and to thicken soup.

You want ascorbic acid to keep color, not citric acid. Citric acid is for adding acidity to make tomatoes and a few different fruits safe for canning.

You can use either Fruit Fresh, crushed vitamin C tablets, or the bottled lemon juice. You will not get as good of results from the bottled lemon juice.

You want ascorbic acid to keep color, not citric acid. Citric acid is for adding acidity to make tomatoes and a few different fruits safe for canning.

You can use either Fruit Fresh, crushed vitamin C tablets, or the bottled lemon juice. You will not get as good of results from the bottled lemon juice.

Lol Violet is right ofcourse. Sorry this got mixed up translation.

One of these days I'll take an English course to learn the language properly. :grinning-smiley-044:

Archived