MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

A moment of kindness ……………..

A moment of kindness ……………..

Or how a stranger ‘tried’ to help us.

It was a very nice, and warm, night outside so we decided to take a walk to McDonalds for thick shakes and then go sit by the picnic tables they have out back by the Erie Canal and drink them by the water.

As we were crossing the highway to get there a car passed us and went around the corner and then pulled to the side of the road and put on the cars flashers.

“What’s up with that”, Lori asked me?

“Must be they got a call the cell phone and pulled over (the law in New York) to talk?”

But as we walked behind the car to cross the road a young lady got out and asked if we needed a ride someplace?

“No thanks, we are just going up the road to McDonalds, but Thanks for the offer.” I said

She must have seen us in our ‘Amish Clothes’ and thought we broke down somewhere and were walking home seeing it was late at night.

But for us, it was nice to see that someone thought to stop and ask if they could help after all it was late at night (9:45 pm) and you don’t see that many people walking around town at that time of night. Made us feel good as we went on our way, oh and the shakes were good too.

:AmishMichaelstraw:

That really was kind of her. Another confirmation that kind and thoughtful people still exist.

On a recent trip to Nebraska DH and I found many such people in the month we were out but we were given our own 'act of kindness' on that journey. Our old motor home had some problems with the cooling lines to the transmission leaking. We made our way into a nearby town (in Iowa) and were allowed to borrow a telephone book from a convenience store/gas station to make some calls to find a repairman. It was late on a Monday afternoon and the first number we called, Rick's Trans and Auto Repair, gave us only an answering machine but we left no message. Severl other places were the same or no answer. We were about to give up for the night when Rick called us back. Even though the number showed up as out of town he took time to enquire what we needed. We arranged to have the motor home at his shop, which was only a couple of blocks away actually, on Wednesday morning but for us to call the next day in case he had an opening. The convenience store clerk was super and gave us directions to a campgrounds in the city, the host of that campground was super and though we couldn't get into the repair shop until that Wed. morning, we got there early and Rick took us right away.

Now that in itself was a blessing but....he had told us on the phone that he charged $50 an hour labor plus parts and that was really low as work we'd had done before we left was $80 an hour labor. We felt really fortunate to have found him. Then, an hour and a half later when the work was done and done well and a lot faster than we'd expected, he told us the bill was only $35 for labor and $15 for parts and we know it should have been more than that. He was so cheerful the whole time he worked and chatted with DH as he did and when we protested that he hadn't charged the right amount for labor at the least, he just said we needed our money to continue our trip and wouldn't take more. When we left I had tears in my eyes of pure gratefulness and a renewed faith in mankind.

There really ARE some wonderful people in our world yet. We found them all over the four states we traveled.

:bighug2:

There are still good people out there. DS's birthday was this past weekend. He chose to go to a habichi grill that does a fruit boat and sing in Japanese for birthdays. The mom of the other family at our table was celebating her birthday as well. They were short handed and only had one boat. The waitress asked if we wanted to share. I said no because sharing food with people you don't know and it wasn't a buffet with dedicated serving utensils wasn't very appealling to me, and I know the boat split among 7 people would leave only about 2 pieces per person and that my kids would be disappointed. We decide to go with the ice cream option instead. When it came out, the boat came to us and the woman let ds know it was her birthday gift to him.

Those are really nice stories! I've spent so much time in the house lately, that I don't have a recent one. However... years ago, hubby and I spent a few days in Colorado. We went sightseeing and were determined to hit EVERY single tourist attraction that we could find. When we visited Garden of the Gods, a lady came up to me and handed me a few one dollar bills. "You've got money falling out of your purse!" she said. I was wearing a cute little backpack style purse and the zipper had unzipped itself! Other tourists in the park soon handed me more small bills that had fallen out. In all, I had probably lost about $12 or $15. I was astounded by the level of honesty that I experienced and benefitted from on that day.

Hubby & I were sort of in your neck of the woods on Saturday, Michael & Lori. We spent the day walking along Seneca Lake in Geneva. It was the gift that I requested for Mother's Day. I discovered something completely epic and decadent...Chocolate Cabernet Wine ice cream from Giffords by the Lake!!!! Since it isn't available in my neck of the woods, I may have to find more excuses to go to Geneva again.

(BTW- I did wave at the sign that announced the number of miles to your town! :wave: )

Hubby & I were sort of in your neck of the woods on Saturday, Michael & Lori. We spent the day walking along Seneca Lake in Geneva. It was the gift that I requested for Mother's Day. I discovered something completely epic and decadent...Chocolate Cabernet Wine ice cream from Giffords by the Lake!!!! Since it isn't available in my neck of the woods, I may have to find more excuses to go to Geneva again.

(BTW- I did wave at the sign that announced the number of miles to your town! :wave: )

Now THAT funny!

because we were in YOUR neck of the woods May 6 at the Dollhouse Show / Sale (where Michael took Best of Show Ribbon) and we too honked as we were near your area. :sHa_sarcasticlol: