MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

How Not To Present Your House For Sale

I had no idea where to put this so it ended up here.

I was surfing looking at how to sell your house to it's best advantage and came across this little gem of a site. These are real pictures people/realtors posted in the MLS books. I learned a lot. No animals, no people, no fisheye lens and clean the place up. Most of them are really funny. I'm learning by example...bad example.

http://badmlsphotos.com/

http://hookedonhouses.net/2012/01/31/5-reasons-why-homeowners-shouldnt-appear-in-their-real-estate-listings/

Edited: To add another website.

Someone has too much time on her hands tonight. :ph34r:

Edited by Jeepers

I worked in a real estate office for a while. The terrible photography the real estate agents used just floored me at times. Winter in a Northern state tends to be dark a lot of the time, but if you have winter listings, go back on a sunny day (or a Morning/Afternoon if the light is better on that street then). So many pictures with 4 o'clock gloom and SNOWFLAKES stealing the camera focus.

And then there were the interior shots where they didn't even bother to throw a light on.

Or the idiots who would leave winter shots up if the house hadn't sold, and it's now May or June. Perfect way to scream "Low-ball me, please!"

When choosing a realtor, take a look at their other listings and how those are done. Someone willing to do at least the rudiments of a decent photo will probably be reasonably diligent with the contracts and negotiating process.

Good tip about being clothed around mirrors with a camera. Especially when your address will also be made public. :0327:

I know what you mean Hazle. When I see a listing with snow on the ground in Aug. I know the sellers are probably getting desperate to sell.

I'm not selling this year but when I do sell, I want to be ready so I don't have to rush around doing things that I could be doing now at my leisure.