MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Canning Chicken

Does anyone can whole pieces of chicken with the bone? Years ago my mom used to buy whole chickens in a can, and it was very good. I'm having a lot of trouble standing for long and it would be so much easier to do it that way. One of our local stores has cut up fryers for .99 a pound this week, so now would be a good time to try it!

I know that the Ball Blue Book has instructions for canning "bone-in" pieces of chicken....so you should be able to do that. I'd just follow the recipe to a T and process it for the recommended time. Should come out fine! :)

• 2 weeks later...

I often buy chicken legs and thighs (bone-in) and 'can' them as is. Works out fine and bone is easy to remove when the jar is opened. You have less meat per jar of course, but I'm doing it for one person so it is fine for me in pint jars. I seem to feel that the bone seems to add more flavor too, but I have seen no study on that.

• 2 weeks later...

I just saw your reply, Canned Nerd. Do you can your chicken with the skin on? Just wondered if it would make too much grease in the jar??

Sorry Canned Nerd. I just saw another topic where you told that you skinned the chicken! So just ignore that question. lol